I have returned to trying to fix Babylon 5. Today, I am no longer limited by DVD format, and have the ability to produce 120 fps video files, making both 24 and 30 fps source material play smoothly on monitors which support such refresh rates. However, the DVD format does not support such frame-rates. I'm not even sure that Blu Ray does, and I don't have a drive or software capable of authoring Blu Rays. So, these would only be fully watchable on devices that do support 120 fps, basically somewhat high-end gaming machines. They would play on other machines as well, so long as they can handle decoding them, just not fully smoothly.
Also, there are now displays with 16:10 aspect ratio screens. Producing files in 16:10 would allow me to offer potentially better viewing experiences. I could letterbox both 16:9 and 3:4 material rather than having to choose which to letterbox.; It also opens the option of cropping both for those who hate black bars, while still retaining more of the lost content than before. However, I do not know if modern editors actually support editing/outputting at 16:10 120fps. Perhaps the 16:10 screens are intended for editing standard aspect-ratio content, not as a new aspect ratio to produce content for. And 120fps is fine for playing games, but editors don't actually support producing for it.
Regardless, my current editor will at most produce 16:9 60 fps. So, I'm having to slow down the footage 2x and edit at 60 fps, then speed up the result up to 120 fps using VirtualDub. 16:10 might be possible but would require a lot of futzing as it does not appear possible for me to type in scaling amounts, I have to scale clips with the mouse, meaning I'd have to eyeball it to some extent, even if I load in a 16:10 image as a guide. But if newer editing software doesn't support 16:10 120 fps output anyway, there's no point in me taking the time to learn it for this project. Can anyone tell me if it does?
And what would you prefer? Assuming all these options are actually possible, how would you like to watch fixed Babylon 5?
1. A DVD that switches between 24 and 30 fps
2. A Blu Ray that switches between 24 and 30 fps
3. A Blu-Ray that runs at 60 fps and the 24 fps material is slightly jerky.
4. A 120 fps file that only runs fully smoothly on displays capable of 120hz
Also, would you prefer:
1. 4:3 with the 16:9 content letter-boxed
2. 16:9 with the 4:3 content letter-boxed
3. 16:10 with both 16:9 and 4:3 content letter-boxed
4. 16:10 with both 16:9 and 4:3 content cropped
No comments:
Post a Comment